Monday, June 27, 2011

This does not suck...

We are sitting on the deck at Carrie and Paul's timeshare. We each have two chairs, one for our bottoms and one for our feet. There's a table between us with coffee, cold pizza, water, fresh peaches, chocolate, Carrie's laptop and our books. Neither of us are dressed and we may or may not get out of our jammies. Behind the condos across the street are the San Francisco Peaks. Humphrey's Peak is over 12,000 feet and has a summer chairlift adventure. I hope we do that this week. Flagstaff is about an hour and a half from the Grand Canyon. Carrie wants us to watch the sun set over the canyon, so we brought lawn chairs to do so. I'm really looking forward to that. She showed me on the Flagstaff map where they have funky shops with tie dyes and Birkenstocks. We are so going there. The historic shops look fun, too. Carrie's parents are on the way to join us. They are so cute! I think Carrie's dad may be as ornery as my dad! Carrie's mom wants to go to a local museum about local Native American tribes. Carrie's birthday is tomorrow, so we are going to a local brew pub for dinner.

Carrie's mom is an accomplished quilter, as is Carrie. Her parents house in Tucson is so cool. It is Spanish style, with high ceilings, tile floors and southwestern decor. Carrie's mom's quilts are on display in nearly every room and they are spectacular! There is one on the wall in the guest bedroom that is about 8 feet in diameter. It's their Christmas tree skirt. Gorgeous! The landscaping at their house is truly desert inspired. Cactus, bougainvillia and Mexican bird of paradise make a beautiful statement. The most beautiful statement is the pool. I could have stayed there for a couple hours, but Carrie says I would have been fried. I might not have minded being fried in that manner.

Christa says I need to include a few of our humorous adventures. We have had a couple, but we've mostly been in the car, so that doesn't lend itself to too many funnies. I did leave my glasses in Carrie's brother, Rick's, backseat in Deming, New Mexico and didn't discovery it until we were about 50 miles on down the road. We had to turn around and go back to get them. I could have worn my prescription sunglasses for two or three days until we could have gotten them by next day mail, but that would have been a pain. Fortunately, Rick was fantastic and agreed to drive toward us to meet us half way. It was great to meet Rick and his wife, Sharon! I know that wasn't such a funny story, but I think Carrie will hold it over my head. She was so excited to get to her parents in Tucson and I held us up at least an hour and a half with going back to meet Rick. I could hear my dad's voice in my head. "Lor-ri. Think!" I also sprayed myself in the face with Carrie's "camelback" water bottle yesterday. She got a kick out of that.

It feels weird to be at our destination and have nothing on the agenda, but it is very, very relaxing. Carrie went to take a nap. I'm reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. Have a relaxing day, whatever you may be doing!

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you two are relaxing and enjoying your trip! Don't buy too many tie-die t-shirts :)Get some underwear if they have them...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm relaxing vicariously through your relaxation! I absolutely LOVE Southwestern decor--love it! Casto's parents house sounds fabulous!
    Enjoy! And Happy Birthday Casto!! The Big 3-0 right?! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. Please elaborate on the spraying in the face story. One sentence is not enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christa,
    During our drive to Flag, our elevation changed dramatically. So your mom ran out of water and wanted some of mine. She had never used a Camelback hydration system before - you bite the mouth piece and then suck (that just sounds so infantile...). She used her fingers to squeeze the mouth piece that had pressure behind it due to the change in elevation and it squirted her face. The best part of it was that I had just turned my head to see what the heck her problem was with the whole water situation! It was pretty darned funny!

    Hahahahaha...I just reread the title! :-)

    ReplyDelete